Nursery Worker Faces Trial Over Toddler Sex Abuse Charges in Bristol
Nursery Worker Accused of Sexually Abusing Toddlers in Bristol

Bristol Nursery Worker Accused of Sexually Abusing Toddlers as Young as Two

A nursery worker has been accused of sexually abusing toddlers as young as two years old in what prosecutors have described as "every parent's worst nightmare." The shocking allegations emerged during the opening of a trial at Bristol Crown Court, where the defendant faces multiple serious charges.

Charges and Guilty Pleas

Nathan Bennett, 30, of Corston, Bath, denies 11 charges including:

  • Two counts of raping a child under 13
  • Four counts of sexual assault of a child under 13
  • Two counts of assault by penetration of a child under 13
  • Three counts of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child

The court heard that Bennett has already pleaded guilty to 13 other charges involving five children aged two or three. These include:

  1. Eight counts of sexual assault of a child under 13
  2. Four counts of causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity
  3. One count of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child

Prosecution's Opening Statement

Prosecutor Virginia Cornwall told the jury that the case concerns "events at a nursery here in Bristol" that unfolded on February 26 last year. She described the situation as particularly disturbing because it involved "a person entrusted to be responsible for your child, care for your child, nurture your child" who allegedly abused that position.

Miss Cornwall stated that "there is no issue in this case that this man has sexually abused five of the small boys who were at that nursery." She explained that Bennett's guilty pleas to some charges demonstrate his "admitted sexual interest in pre-school age boys."

CCTV Evidence and Predatory Behaviour

The prosecution told jurors they would see CCTV footage from inside the Partou King Street nursery in Bristol that allegedly shows Bennett's behaviour. According to Miss Cornwall, the footage demonstrates "a certain level of predation" through repetitive conduct.

"He took opportunities that he either engineered or were presented to him within the nursery setting to abuse," she said. "You may think, with children as young as two or three, who are understandably trusting of an adult who they have a familiarity with."

The prosecutor described how Bennett allegedly encouraged familiarity through tactile behaviour including hair ruffling, touching, and closeness. "They were not to understand what his interest was in them, or why he was doing what he was doing," she said of the young victims. "A child of that age simply would not comprehend that it was sexual or necessarily wrong."

Nursery Staff Testimonies

Nursery manager Victoria Tutton, known as Vera, said in a written statement that Bennett would "favour" certain children, preferring to read them stories or sit with them. "Me and the staff could see that Nathan had stronger relationships with some children than others," she stated.

Ms Tutton described how she immediately sent Bennett home on February 26 after catching him on CCTV putting his hand down the trousers of a child. "I took him into the meeting room and I said, 'I just saw something on the camera that made me feel really uncomfortable. I need you to leave the site now and HR will be in touch'," she told the court.

Nursery practitioner Elizabeth Burton testified about witnessing "strange behaviours" by Bennett. She described how he seemed to have "a jealous attachment" with a group of five children and would display "over-affectionate" behaviour including having them sit on his lap and kissing them on the face.

Ms Burton also noted that Bennett would wear the same pair of trousers to work, which were full of holes including in the crotch area. "I would not wear them to work because they were not suitable and I tried to encourage him to buy a new pair," she added.

Background and Investigation

The court heard that Bennett began working at the nursery in July 2024 and had experience working in other pre-school settings. According to the prosecution, he "presented as suitable" for the role of early years practitioner.

A local authority safeguarding concern was raised about Bennett in early February after a parent complained about his "interaction" with their child. However, Miss Cornwall told the jury that "it was not until February 26 that anyone thought that he was sexually touching anyone."

The nursery closed after police launched their investigation into the allegations. The trial continues at Bristol Crown Court, where the jury will consider evidence including CCTV footage and witness testimonies before reaching their verdict on the 11 charges that Bennett denies.