Alan Carr Rejects Strictly Hosting Role, Urges BBC to 'Give It to Someone Else'
Alan Carr Rejects Strictly Hosting Role for BBC

Alan Carr Explains Decision to Turn Down Strictly Come Dancing Hosting Role

Comedian Alan Carr has publicly addressed why he does not want to take on the prestigious hosting job for Strictly Come Dancing, urging the BBC to "give it to someone else!". The 49-year-old entertainer spoke candidly during a Q&A session for his new Channel 4 programme, Secret Genius, revealing his reasons for declining the opportunity.

"I Like Watching the Show, I Don't Love It"

While acknowledging that being offered the role would be "an honour", Alan Carr explained his perspective on the matter. He stated, "I just think I like watching the show, I don’t love it. I think it would be better for someone who really, really loves it, you know." Carr emphasised that the programme deserves a presenter who is genuinely passionate about its content, adding, "That show is so adored and so loved. You want someone in there who’s like, 'Yeah, this Paso Doble was...'. I don’t give a s**t."

The comedian also highlighted the value of bringing fresh talent to the position, noting, "I just think, wouldn’t it be great to get someone fresh, someone new." His comments come amid ongoing speculation about who will succeed the current hosts, Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman, who announced their joint departure in October 2025.

Denial of Speculation with Amanda Holden

Previous rumours had suggested that Alan Carr and his friend, television personality Amanda Holden, 54, were being considered as potential replacements for the hosting duo. However, both individuals have since confirmed that this will not be the case. During an appearance on Jessie and Lennie Ware's podcast, Table Manners, Carr and Holden admitted they had "said no" to the BBC's offer.

When asked by the podcast hosts if they were planning to present Strictly together, Alan Carr responded, "No, we said no ages ago." Amanda Holden had earlier addressed the speculation on her Heart Radio show in December 2025, telling listeners, "I want to say now that me and Alan are 100 per cent not doing Strictly. We are so flattered to be in that mix. We both are not doing it."

Other Potential Candidates and Fan Speculation

With no official announcement yet regarding new hosts, fans have been actively discussing various television personalities who could take over the role. One name frequently mentioned is Bradley Walsh, the host of ITV's The Chase. However, the 65-year-old star has seemingly dismissed the idea, citing how it would disrupt his weekend routine.

Speaking to the Radio Times, Bradley Walsh outlined his typical weekend schedule, which includes watching Strictly Come Dancing as a viewer. He explained, "On Saturday, I’ll watch the football results, have dinner and a pint, watch Strictly, then I’m a Celebrity, and flip back to the BBC for Match of the Day." He added that hosting the show would "absolutely ruin my weekend", effectively batting away the suggestion.

Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly's Departure Announcement

The search for new hosts follows the emotional departure announcement made by Claudia Winkleman, 54, and Tess Daly, 56, in October 2025. The duo, who have presented the BBC One dancing competition together since 2014, shared the news via a heartfelt video on Instagram.

In the video, Claudia Winkleman began, "There have been some rumblings and we want you to hear this from us." Tess Daly chimed in, "We have news, after 21 wonderfully joyful years on Strictly, we have decided that the time is right to step aside and pass over the baton." Claudia humorously added, "The very sparkly baton!" before reflecting on their long partnership.

Tess Daly pointed out, "You've been here since the beginning," to which Claudia replied, "With Bruce, lovely Bruce [Forsyth], and that was over two decades ago but a lot of the time has been with you." They both expressed gratitude for their time on the show, with Tess noting, "It's been a huge part of our lives since our children were literally babes in arms, and now they're adults, and I think genuinely we have cherished every second."

In a caption accompanying the video, the hosts wrote, "We have loved working as a duo and hosting Strictly has been an absolute dream. We were always going to leave together and now feels like the right time." They thanked the BBC and the production team, concluding, "We will cry when we say the last 'keep dancing' but we will continue to say it to each other. Just possibly in tracksuit bottoms at home while holding some pizza."

As the BBC continues its search for new presenters, Alan Carr's candid remarks underscore the importance of finding hosts who share the audience's deep affection for Strictly Come Dancing. His decision to step aside highlights the show's enduring appeal and the careful consideration needed in selecting its next ambassadors.