BBC presenter Zoe Ball has publicly addressed the swirling rumours that she is in line to become the new host of Strictly Come Dancing. The 55-year-old broadcaster admitted she would "love" to take on the coveted role, following the shock departure of longtime presenters Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly last autumn.
The Dream Job and a Tough Act to Follow
In a candid interview, Ball confirmed that while she has not yet been formally approached by the BBC, the opportunity is one she would relish. "Obviously there's part of me that would love to do it," she said. "I love that show." She fondly recalled her own experience as a contestant on the programme, dancing with professional Ian Waite.
However, the star was quick to temper expectations, acknowledging the immense challenge of replacing Winkleman and Daly. She emphasised the difficulty of live television, stating "it's live telly, which is another thing that people don't give the girls enough credit for." Ball described the flagship entertainment show as "a beast," warning that "whoever gets to do it has a tough act to follow."
Radio Exit and Personal Priorities
Speculation about Ball's potential move intensified when she announced she was stepping down from her Saturday slot on BBC Radio 2, a decision that freed up her weekends. She has now clarified that the Strictly rumours were not the primary reason for her radio departure.
Instead, Ball cited the profound grief of losing her mother, Julia Peckham, to cancer in April 2024 as a catalyst for reassessing her life and career. She described the period after her mother's death as "a crazy, awful, hideous nightmare." This loss prompted her to focus more on her family, particularly her two children, Nelly, 16, and Woody, 25.
"The aftermath was really tough, and for a lot of people that's when the wheels come off," she explained. With her ex-husband, DJ Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), often working weekends, Ball wanted to ensure she was more present for her youngest child, who is preparing for her GCSEs. "Just for this next six months, I need to be here," she stated.
The Search for a New Hosting Duo
As the BBC continues its search for new Strictly hosts, Ball mused about potential co-presenters. She suggested that fellow presenter Rylan Clark would "kill it" and wondered why her husband, Vernon Kay, hadn't been mentioned in the speculation. Other names previously linked to the role, such as Alan Carr and Amanda Holden, have reportedly ruled themselves out.
Reports last month indicated that BBC bosses have drawn up a 'Golden Ten' shortlist, which is said to include presenters like Bradley Walsh and Alex Jones. Insiders claim contenders will undergo partner-swap chemistry tests to find the perfect on-screen pairing, with the format open to any combination of presenters.
However, Bradley Walsh has since appeared to dismiss the idea, humorously complaining that hosting the live Saturday night show would ruin his cherished weekend television routine, which includes watching football, I'm a Celebrity, and Columbo.
For now, Zoe Ball remains a favourite amongst fans and bookmakers for one of British television's most sought-after jobs, but the final decision rests with BBC executives as they prepare for the next glittering series.