Lord Hermer Fast-Tracked 'Racist' Tweet Charge for Councillor's Wife
Hermer Fast-Tracked Racist Tweet Charge for Tory Wife

Fresh disclosures have revealed that the criminal charge against Lucy Connolly for a racially inflammatory social media post was treated as an emergency case and fast-tracked for approval by Labour Attorney General Lord Hermer. The childminder, who is married to a Conservative councillor, was imprisoned at HMP Drake Hall in Staffordshire during October 2024 after pleading guilty to inciting racial hatred in the turbulent aftermath of the Southport riots.

Emergency Charging Procedure Revealed

According to Crown Prosecution Service documents obtained by The Telegraph, Connolly's prosecution was designated as an 'emergency charging' decision that required the Attorney General's personal consent. Counter-terrorism prosecutors secured this approval from Lord Hermer's office within just twelve hours of submitting their request on a Friday evening, indicating the exceptional priority given to this case.

National Directive for Rapid Response

The behind-the-scenes communications between police, prosecutors and the Attorney General's office show that officials expedited Connolly's charge under Section 18 of the Public Order Act 1986. This acceleration occurred under a national directive established to handle cases swiftly following the tragic killings of three young girls in Southport, with the intention of preventing further civil disorder.

Emails from August 9, 2024 reveal that while Connolly remained in custody, senior officials discussed her case status extensively. A specialist prosecutor noted at 8.45pm that the Attorney General felt 'pretty confident' about securing a decision that same evening. The following morning, Lord Hermer's office confirmed his consent had been granted and requested updates on substantive developments.

Political Backlash and Free Speech Concerns

The rapid processing of Connolly's case has ignited significant political controversy, with opposition figures claiming she was made a 'political prisoner' and 'scapegoated' by the Government. Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp told The Telegraph that the Government clearly intended to 'make an example' of Connolly, suggesting she would have had strong prospects of acquittal had she pleaded not guilty.

Philp further argued that the thirty-one month prison sentence for an offensive social media post represented 'grossly disproportionate' punishment, particularly when compared to more lenient sentences for serious physical crimes. Deputy Reform UK leader Richard Tice launched a direct attack on Lord Hermer, accusing him of acting against freedom of speech and questioning whether he should resign over these revelations.

Connolly's Contentious Social Media Post

Connolly's inflammatory tweet, which she later deleted, called for 'mass deportation now' and suggested setting fire to hotels housing migrants, concluding with 'if that makes me racist so be it.' The post was made just hours after Axel Rudakubana murdered three girls and attempted to murder ten others at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class on July 29, 2024, an atrocity that sparked nationwide unrest.

Despite being deleted, the message achieved viral circulation, being viewed approximately 310,000 times within just three-and-a-half hours. Police investigations following Connolly's arrest on August 6 uncovered additional concerning messages on her seized mobile device, though she had already deleted her social media account by that point.

Legal Proceedings and International Scrutiny

Connolly pleaded guilty at Birmingham Crown Court in October 2024 to distributing material with intent to stir up racial hatred, receiving a thirty-one month prison sentence. However, she later told the Court of Appeal in May that she never intended to incite violence and didn't fully comprehend the implications of her guilty plea, claiming her solicitor hadn't properly explained the legal meaning of 'inciting violence' in context.

The case has attracted international attention, with White House officials stating in May that they were 'monitoring' Connolly's situation and expressing concerns about free speech protections in Britain. Lord Hermer has faced mounting criticism since his appointment as Attorney General in July 2024, including scrutiny over his role in the Chagos Islands decision and his approach to government legal advice.

Official Response and Denials

A spokesman for Lord Hermer defended the process, stating that prosecution decisions are made independently by the Crown Prosecution Service, with Attorney General consent required for only a small number of specific offences. The spokesman emphasised that Connolly's case was handled in the same manner and timeline as many other similar cases during that period.

An additional source close to the Attorney General dismissed suggestions of improper conduct as 'utterly baseless,' maintaining that proper procedures were followed throughout the prosecution process. Despite these assurances, the revelations about the expedited approval process continue to fuel debate about proportionality, political influence, and freedom of expression in Britain's legal system.