Starmer Condemns Mandelson's 'Gobsmacking' Response as New Evidence Emerges
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has delivered a scathing rebuke to Peter Mandelson, branding his claimed lack of recollection over receiving substantial payments from convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein as "gobsmacking". The outburst occurred during a tense Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, as the government confirmed that the Cabinet Office has referred new, potentially damning information to the Metropolitan Police for review.
Cabinet Office Uncovers Compromised Safeguards
The Prime Minister's official spokesman revealed that an initial assessment of newly-released documents from the US Department of Justice has uncovered likely market-sensitive information related to the 2008 financial crash and subsequent economic stabilisation efforts. "Only people operating in an official capacity had access to this information," the spokesman stated, emphasising that strict handling conditions were in place to prevent financial exploitation. "It appears the safeguards were compromised."
In light of these findings, the Cabinet Office has formally passed the material to the Met Police, who are already examining reports of allegations concerning misconduct in public office. The government has pledged full cooperation, with Starmer's spokesman affirming, "the Government stands ready to provide whatever support and assistance the police need."
Mandelson Under Mounting Pressure
The latest tranche of documents, released last week, indicates that Mandelson, who served as Business Secretary under Gordon Brown, may have passed confidential government details to Epstein. Emails suggest he discussed lobbying ministers over a tax on bankers' bonuses in 2009 and confirmed an imminent euro bailout package a day before its 2010 announcement. Furthermore, bank statements from 2003 and 2004 appear to show Mandelson received three payments totalling $75,000 from the disgraced financier.
Despite this evidence, Mandelson has publicly insisted, "I have no record and no recollection of receiving these sums and do not know if the documents are authentic." Starmer told the Cabinet that the public would find such a memory lapse from a senior politician astonishing, as he increased pressure on Mandelson to resign from the House of Lords.
Scandal Deepens with Personal Revelations
The controversy extends beyond financial and professional misconduct. Photos released alongside the documents include an image of Mandelson in his underpants with an unidentified woman, allegedly taken in Epstein's Paris flat. Additionally, Epstein is said to have funded an osteopathy course for Mandelson's husband, further intertwining their personal and financial dealings.
Mandelson, who was sacked as ambassador to the US in September after emails revealed he had coached Epstein, has shown little intention of stepping down quietly. In a recent interview with The Times, he remarked, "Hiding under a rock would be a disproportionate response to a handful of misguided historical emails, which I deeply regret sending."
Political Fallout and Legislative Moves
The scandal has ignited cross-party discussions on new legislation that could facilitate the removal of disgraced peers from the House of Lords. As the Met Police continues its review to decide on a full investigation, the government faces mounting calls for accountability and transparency. Starmer's forceful condemnation underscores the severity of the allegations, highlighting a breach of public trust that resonates deeply within Westminster's corridors of power.