White House Declares Preference for Kid Rock Over Bad Bunny at Super Bowl
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt has delivered a sharp rebuke to Puerto Rican rapper Bad Bunny ahead of his scheduled performance at the Super Bowl LX halftime show this Sunday night. Despite significant fan backlash against the NFL's decision, plans remain firmly in place for the controversial artist to take the stage at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
Political Tensions Boil Over Ahead of Championship Game
Bad Bunny has repeatedly criticized the Trump administration in recent years, specifically citing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents as the primary reason he excluded mainland United States dates from his recent tour. The artist doubled down on these criticisms during his appearance at the 2026 Grammy Awards, further escalating tensions with the current administration.
In response, President Donald Trump has confirmed he will not attend the Super Bowl due to Bad Bunny's selection as halftime performer. Instead, the president will host an exclusive watching party at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on Sunday evening.
White House Makes Musical Preferences Clear
During a press briefing on Thursday, Fox News reporter Peter Doocy directly questioned Leavitt about which halftime show the Mar-a-Lago gathering would watch. The press secretary responded unequivocally: "I think the president would much prefer a Kid Rock performance over Bad Bunny. I must say that."
Kid Rock is scheduled to perform at a rival halftime show organized by conservative youth organization Turning Point USA, alongside fellow country artists Brantley Gilbert, Lee Brice, and Gabby Barrett. This alternative programming appears to have won favor with the administration.
Security Concerns Compound Political Decision
While President Trump initially claimed his absence from the championship game was due to Santa Clara being "just too far away," reports from progressive outlet Zeteo suggest deeper concerns. Multiple sources indicate administration officials warned the president about potential heckling from the Bay Area crowd at the San Francisco 49ers' home stadium.
One White House official reportedly described Trump's chances of being booed as "big league," while four individuals familiar with the situation confirmed the administration feared the inevitable media coverage and viral video clips such a scene would generate. A Trump adviser told Zeteo that avoiding this type of viral moment represented "another thing we don't want right now."
Performance Anxiety Meets Political Backdrop
Meanwhile, Bad Bunny has admitted to experiencing significant anxiety leading up to his Super Bowl performance. During a recent press conference in San Francisco, the artist revealed he has been struggling to sleep, often waking at 4 a.m. to think about the upcoming show.
"I've been working on this show, what we're gonna do next Sunday, it's a lot," said the 31-year-old, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio. "Thinking about the Super Bowl at 4 a.m., that's what I've been doing. It's been hard to not."
The Puerto Rican star teased special guests for his performance and vowed to pay tribute to his cultural roots during the 13-minute spectacle. Despite his nerves, Bad Bunny expressed gratitude for reaching what he called "the biggest stage of the world," something he never thought possible earlier in his career.
Broader Political Context
Trump's decision to skip the Super Bowl comes amid declining approval ratings for his administration. Public outrage has grown over a deadly immigration crackdown in Minneapolis, while persistent inflation continues to burden American families at grocery stores nationwide.
The halftime show controversy represents yet another cultural flashpoint in an increasingly polarized political landscape, with musical preferences becoming yet another arena for political expression and division.