Murder Investigation Launched After De Montfort University Student Fatally Stabbed
Leicestershire Police have launched a murder investigation following the fatal stabbing of a De Montfort University student in Leicester city centre. The victim, a man in his 20s, died in hospital after the incident near the university campus on Tuesday evening.
Arrest Made Following Fatal Altercation
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody. Officers were called just after 5pm on Tuesday following reports that a man had collapsed on Oxford Street, close to the junction with Bonners Lane near De Montfort University (DMU).
While police were en route to the scene, it was reported that the man had been stabbed. He was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary but died a short time later despite the best efforts of medical staff.
University Community 'Devastated' by Tragedy
DMU Vice Chancellor Professor Katie Normington expressed the university's devastation at confirming the tragic death of one of their students. "Our thoughts are with everyone who is affected by what has happened," she said. "We are offering direct support to students, staff and the family of the victim."
The university is working closely with Leicestershire Police as they investigate what has been described as a major incident. Professor Normington added: "Thank you for the messages of support we have been receiving from the community of Leicester: it is a city that knows how to stand together in moments like this."
Police Appeal for Witnesses and Dashcam Footage
Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Lorna Granville confirmed that police believe the victim was involved in an altercation with another man in the street before the suspect left the scene. "We are currently piecing together exactly what has occurred on the corner of Oxford Street and Bonners Lane," she said.
Detective Inspector Granville made a direct appeal to the public: "CCTV in the area is currently being reviewed and officers are speaking to potential witnesses. We know a lot of people came to the aid of the victim before emergency services arrived and we want to thank them for their help."
Police are particularly interested in speaking to:
- Anyone who witnessed the confrontation between two men
- Motorists who were driving along Oxford Street around 5pm
- Those who may have captured dashcam footage of the area
- People who assisted the victim before emergency services arrived
"If you can help in any way, call 101 and quote incident number 495 of February 3," Detective Inspector Granville urged.
Eyewitness Describes Distressing Scene
A De Montfort University student, who wished to remain anonymous, described seeing a man receiving medical attention on the pavement. "I just saw a person on the floor and getting CPR," the student said, having been on their way home from a field trip. "I was going back home then I just saw the police around and saw the person on the floor."
The student added: "He was an old man, I think. I didn't really look much because I'm really kind of sensitive." They confirmed the man was lying on the pavement across the road from The Bowling Green pub in Oxford Street.
Emergency Response and Ongoing Disruption
East Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed they were called to the scene at 5.03pm on Tuesday. They sent a paramedic in an ambulance car, three crewed ambulances, and had a responder from the air ambulance in attendance. One patient was transported to Leicester Royal Infirmary.
Several roads remain closed in the area while the investigation continues, causing significant disruption. University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust warned patients with Wednesday appointments to allow extra time for their journeys due to road closures near Leicester Royal Infirmary.
Local Councillors Express Concern
Councillor Liz Sahu, speaking on behalf of fellow Castle ward councillors Patrick Kitterick and Mick Gregg, said: "Local councillors are very concerned and worried to read about the 'serious incident' that occurred at DMU last night. I hope and pray that everyone is safe."
She added that councillors would seek to discuss this incident and other worrying incidents that have recently occurred in the city with police.
Local officers will be conducting reassurance patrols in the area over the coming days, and members of the public with concerns are encouraged to speak to them directly.