Met Police Inspector Charged with Multiple Rapes and Coercive Control
Met Police Inspector Faces 17 Charges Including Rape and Coercion

A Metropolitan Police inspector has been charged with multiple rapes and controlling behaviour over a 12-year period, in a case that has sent shockwaves through the force and raised serious questions about conduct and accountability.

Serious Allegations Spanning Over a Decade

John Doyle, aged 53, is due to appear in court tomorrow after being charged with a total of 17 offences. These include five counts of rape, one count of assault by penetration, and two counts of coercive and controlling behaviour. The charges paint a disturbing picture of alleged abuse and misconduct.

Detailed Breakdown of the Charges

In addition to the sexual offences, Doyle is also accused of two counts of actual bodily harm, four counts of grievous bodily harm with intent, two counts of misconduct in public office, and one count of possession of extreme pornography. The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2012 and 2024 and relate to one victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Background and Immediate Suspension

Doyle, who was previously attached to the Met's Specialist Firearms Command and is from Liverpool, was arrested on June 24 2024 and immediately suspended from duty, Scotland Yard confirmed today. This swift action followed the emergence of the allegations.

Dismissal Following Misconduct Hearing

He was dismissed from the Metropolitan Police in December that year following a misconduct hearing held in private due to the ongoing criminal proceedings, the Met said. This dismissal underscores the gravity of the situation and the force's response to the accusations.

Crown Prosecution Service Statement

Catherine P Baccas, deputy chief Crown prosecutor with the CPS, said: 'The Crown Prosecution Service has decided to charge John Doyle with controlling or coercive behaviour, several counts of rape, assault by penetration and misconduct in public office. John Doyle was working as a firearms officer with the Met until he was sacked in December 2024 following allegations against him.'

She added: 'This follows allegations made by a woman relating to a period of alleged abuse spanning 12 years.' The CPS's involvement highlights the formal legal process now underway.

Upcoming Court Appearance

He is due to appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow, where the charges will be formally presented. This court appearance marks a critical step in the judicial process, with the case likely to attract significant public and media attention given the defendant's former role in law enforcement.

The case raises broader issues about trust and integrity within police forces, particularly concerning officers in sensitive positions such as firearms command. It also highlights the importance of robust mechanisms for reporting and investigating allegations of abuse, especially when they involve individuals in positions of authority.