Afghan Migrant Urged Police to Check CCTV to Clear Name in Nuneaton Child Strangling Case
Migrant Urged Police to Check CCTV in Nuneaton Child Case

An Afghan migrant accused of strangling a 12-year-old girl, who was later allegedly raped, urged police officers to examine CCTV footage in an effort to clear his name, according to evidence presented at Warwick Crown Court.

Details of the Alleged Incident in Warwickshire

Mohammad Kabir, aged 24, stated that he told the young girl 'please don't come closer to me' before she departed with Ahmad Mulakhil. Mulakhil, who is also originally from Afghanistan and is 23 years old, is currently on trial for raping and sexually assaulting the child in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, on July 22 of last year.

Charges and Denials in the Case

Mulakhil has admitted to one count of oral rape but denies two additional counts of rape, two counts of sexual assault, child abduction, and taking indecent images of a child. Meanwhile, Kabir denies charges of intentional strangulation, committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence, and attempting to take a child.

The court has been informed that Mulakhil engaged in sexual activity with the complainant. The rape and sexual offences that Mulakhil denies are all said to have occurred during a specific 'window' of one hour and 18 minutes, during which he and the 12-year-old were not visible on CCTV surveillance.

Allegations Against Kabir and His Defence

Kabir is alleged to have attempted to strangle the girl on a canal bridge earlier on the same day, after reportedly pulling 'weird' faces at her. During the closing evidence of the Crown's case on Tuesday, prosecutor Daniel Oscroft read a translated transcript of a phone call Kabir made to an interpreter while police were attempting to communicate with him.

In the call, Kabir told the interpreter: 'The girl came, she went with my friend. I told her "don't come to me, please go away, don't come closer". Tell them (the police) to check the camera. Tell them that my heart is exploding. I am brought in here innocently. I sent her away. I was telling her "don't get closer to me you are small". Tell them that I have not done anything wrong.'

Police Interviews and Forensic Evidence

During police interviews, Kabir mostly responded with no comment to questions but provided a statement through his solicitor. The statement read: 'I wish to deny my involvement in the offences. I believe it (forensic evidence) will exonerate me. I have been falsely accused and mistaken of crimes that I didn't commit.'

Images of Mohammad Kabir and Ahmad Mulakhil were part of a timeline video presentation shown to jurors at Warwick Crown Court on Friday. Additionally, a screen grab from CCTV footage depicted Mulakhil and Kabir in a supermarket one day after the alleged rape.

The trial continues as the court examines the evidence and testimonies in this distressing case.