A property law legal assistant has found herself facing substantial court bills and the threat of imprisonment after police intercepted her vehicle on the M62 motorway, revealing she had been driving whilst disqualified without her knowledge.
Ignored Notices Lead to Motorway Stop
Jasmine Newton, a 33-year-old mother-of-three from Monsal Avenue in Wolverhampton, was pulled over by officers on the westbound carriageway of the M62 in Cheshire on January 4 this year. The stop occurred just past junction 6 after Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras flagged her BMW 320D, indicating a potentially disqualified and uninsured driver might be at the wheel.
Newton, who works for a legal firm specialising in property matters, told Warrington Magistrates' Court that she had "quite a lot of unopened mail at home" and was unaware of her disqualification. This admission came after she pleaded guilty to driving whilst disqualified and having no insurance.
Background to the Disqualification
The court heard how Newton had been banned under the totting-up procedure at a hearing conducted in her absence last August. She was found guilty of two offences of failing to provide information about the identity of a driver caught speeding. Multiple Notice of Intended Prosecution letters had been sent to her address, which she failed to open or acknowledge.
Prosecutor Mr Umer Zeb explained to magistrates that officers confirmed via checks that a disqualified driver might be operating the vehicle without insurance before initiating the stop on the hard shoulder. "The officer then caused the vehicle to stop and noted the defendant was the driver and had been disqualified," he stated.
Personal Circumstances and Court Plea
Newton's solicitor, Neil Grunfeld, outlined her difficult personal situation during the proceedings. He revealed she was travelling with her mother to visit her terminally ill grandfather in Liverpool when stopped. "Her mother had been driving but for some reason became very nervous, and my client took over, which obviously was a foolish decision," Mr Grunfeld told the court.
The solicitor further detailed Newton's circumstances:
- She is currently single with three children aged 15, 11, and eight
- She experiences significant stress due to issues with her eldest daughter
- She requires her licence for school runs and visiting her ill grandfather in Liverpool
- She generally struggles with numerous personal issues that have recently intensified
Mr Grunfeld emphasised Newton's previous good character, noting she had no prior convictions, and expressed her desire to resume driving as soon as possible for family responsibilities.
Sentencing and Financial Penalties
Despite facing the prospect of prison, Newton received what magistrates described as lenient treatment. She was fined £768 and ordered to pay £392 in costs and a victim surcharge. Additionally, she received an extra three-month driving ban on top of her existing disqualification.
The court also noted Newton currently has outstanding fines totalling £2,093 from previous hearings, bringing her total court-related financial obligations to over £3,000.
Magistrate's Stern Warning
Presiding Justice of the Peace Steven Bradley delivered a firm rebuke during sentencing. "Driving while disqualified is a serious offence. Burying your head in the sand and unopened letters from police and the court is no excuse," he stated.
Mr Bradley continued with a clear warning about the potential consequences: "We have dealt with you very leniently today. Very often we would send people to prison for driving while disqualified, so you have got off lightly."
The case highlights the serious repercussions of ignoring official correspondence from police and courts, even for individuals working within the legal profession who might be expected to understand such procedures.