Keir Starmer Faces Renewed Judgment Questions Over Lord Doyle Controversy
Sir Keir Starmer is confronting fresh questions about his judgment in a growing row over the appointment of his former spin doctor to the House of Lords, after it emerged the aide campaigned for a paedophile councillor. The Prime Minister stated on Wednesday that ex-communications chief Lord Matthew Doyle, who supported Sean Morton after Morton had been charged with possessing indecent images of children, did not provide a "full account of his actions" when he was granted a peerage.
Labour Whip Removed and Apology Issued
Lord Doyle has had the Labour whip removed and has apologised for backing Morton before the case against him concluded, asserting he believed the paedophile's claims of innocence prior to Morton admitting the offences. It is understood that this campaigning was not disclosed during the former aide's vetting process. However, Tim Allan – who until this week served as communications chief in Number 10 – revealed that Lord Doyle confirmed he believed Morton before his conviction and had been "supportive" during that period, as initially reported by The Times.
Mr Allan explained he was asked to speak with the peer while in Downing Street by Sir Keir's former chief of staff, Morgan McSweeney, regarding Lord Doyle's relationship with Morton. "I accurately relayed what Doyle had told me to the PM," Mr Allan said in a statement to the Press Association. "The PM is right to state that Doyle did not tell me about his campaigning in a council election for Morton. Doyle did however tell me that he had believed Morton's protestations of innocence prior to his conviction and had been supportive of him during that time."
Broader Leadership Challenges and Cabinet Support
This development follows Sir Keir surviving an immediate threat to his leadership earlier this week, when his Cabinet rallied around him with public messages of support. This came after Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar called for him to resign amid fallout from the Peter Mandelson scandal. Critics argue the recent controversies have exposed a "boys' club" within Downing Street – a claim Number 10 rejects – and the Prime Minister was urged on Wednesday to appoint a woman as his de facto deputy in Government.
Sir Keir said he would consider the suggestion made by former deputy leader Baroness Harriet Harman at a meeting with female Labour parliamentarians, repeated his apology for appointing Lord Mandelson, and added that he looked forward to collaborating with them to address misogyny and violence against women and girls. In a series of broadcast interviews on Wednesday evening, Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy stated Lord Doyle should never have received a peerage and that she believes the Prime Minister "shares that view".
Downing Street's Response and Ongoing Investigations
Downing Street has declined to commit to stripping the former aide of his honour, arguing this could prejudice a Labour investigation into the appointment. When asked how proud she was to serve in a Labour Government that gave the Washington ambassador role to Lord Mandelson given his links to Jeffrey Epstein, Ms Nandy told ITV's Peston show: "Absolutely not proud at all. What's lower than one on a scale?"
Chancellor Rachel Reeves will face questions from the press during a visit on Thursday, while other Labour figures, including former deputy leader Angela Rayner and Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham – both of whom expressed support for the Prime Minister despite recent speculation about their own ambitions – will also attend a public-facing event in Liverpool.
Civil Service Shake-Up and Leadership Speculation
Sir Keir has sought to move on from speculation about his future in Downing Street after renewed scrutiny of Lord Mandelson's appointment as UK ambassador to the US despite his association with Jeffrey Epstein. However, the Prime Minister is expected to continue efforts to overhaul his Number 10 operation, with the country's top civil servant Sir Chris Wormald believed to be departing imminently.
In a highly unusual intervention on Wednesday evening, former permanent secretary at the Foreign Office Lord Simon McDonald asserted there should be a "full process" to appoint a new Cabinet Secretary and that "needs to start from scratch". Rumours have circulated in Westminster that Sir Keir intends to replace Sir Chris with Dame Antonia Romeo, a civil servant who also worked at the Foreign Office during Lord McDonald's tenure.
When asked what should happen now, the peer told Channel 4 News: "This is the most important job in the civil service. It can't be chosen on the fly." He added: "If the Prime Minister wants a new Cabinet Secretary, he needs to start from scratch. Due diligence is vitally important. The Prime Minister has recent bitter experience of doing the due diligence too late. It would be an unnecessary tragedy to repeat that mistake." He noted he would prefer to discuss details with Number 10 and had "been in touch today and not had a response".
Defence of Dame Antonia Romeo
Dame Antonia was reportedly investigated when she served as Britain's consul general in New York in 2017 over her expenses and allegations of bullying, but was later cleared by the Cabinet Office. A Government source stated there was "absolutely no basis for this criticism", saying: "Antonia Romeo is a highly respected permanent secretary with a 25-year record of excellent public service."
A second Government source went further, commenting: "This is a desperate attempt from a senior male official whose time has passed but spent their career getting Britain into the mess it finds itself in today. A computer says no culture, that cannot challenge the status quo. Antonia is a disrupter. She isn't settled with the status quo. She is one of the few senior officials that has always fought against the computer says no culture embedded in the British state. In light of the crisis we face as a country, Antonia is exactly the leadership the civil service need to embrace systemic reform to rewire the state, take on vested interest and deliver for the British people. The allegations all come from a single grievance made some time ago by a former employee. All the allegations were dismissed on the basis there was no case to answer."
The Prime Minister's chief of staff Mr McSweeney and communications chief Mr Allan have already departed as he seeks to revive his fortunes after a bruising start to 2026, underscoring the ongoing turbulence within the Labour leadership and Downing Street operations.