Iran Football Team Moves World Cup Training Base from US to Mexico
Iran Moves World Cup Training Base to Mexico

The Iranian national soccer team has relocated their training base for the World Cup from the United States to Mexico ahead of next month's sporting extravaganza.

This year's soccer showdown, which will be co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, has been overshadowed in recent months by uncertainty over Iran's participation amid the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.

Iran had been scheduled to train in Tucson, Arizona, but a move has long been a possibility because of security concerns amid the war, which was triggered by joint US-Israel strikes in February. The federation says the team will now be based in Tijuana, Mexico, just south of San Diego.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Mehdi Taj, president of the Iran Football Federation, announced the decision Saturday in a statement issued by the federation's media relations official. FIFA has not confirmed the move.

'All team base camps for the countries participating in the World Cup must be approved by FIFA,' Taj said in his statement.

'Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had yesterday in Tehran with the respected FIFA secretary general, our request to change the team's base from the United States to Mexico was approved.'

Iran plays Group G games in Inglewood, California, against New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium six days later, then faces Egypt on June 26 in Seattle. Team Melli is appearing in its fourth straight World Cup and seventh overall. It has never advanced past the first round.

Iran's federation said moving the base camp will resolve potential visa issues since the team will enter the US through Mexico. The president said that the team 'may even be able to travel to and from Mexico using Iran Air flights.'

Discussions over Iran's place in the international soccer tournament had been rife amid the war in the Middle East, with one of Donald Trump's top representatives even calling for them to be kicked out and replaced with Italy.

Last month, US special envoy Paolo Zampolli suggested to both the US President and FIFA President Gianni Infantino that Italy, who failed to qualify for a third consecutive World Cup, take Iran's spot this summer. Yet Trump later revealed that he had put little thought into that suggestion, while Infantino claimed 'the Iranian team is coming, for sure.'

The FIFA chief maintained that stance at the soccer governing body's Congress, and when asked about Infantino's remarks, Trump said: 'Well if Gianni said it, I’m OK.'

More to follow.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration