The Trump administration is reportedly preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, according to a new report from CBS News. Military and intelligence officials have canceled their Memorial Day weekend plans in case of possible strikes, sources told the outlet.
White House Stance
A White House spokesperson stated, “The President always maintains all options at all times, and it is the job of the Pentagon to be ready to execute any decision the Commander-in-Chief could make.” However, no final decision to launch strikes had been made as of Friday afternoon local time. Such action would threaten the fragile ceasefire between Washington and Tehran, as peace talks have stalled after nearly three months of conflict.
Strait of Hormuz Tensions
On Friday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged NATO allies to prepare a “Plan B” to open the Strait of Hormuz. “What if Iran decides we refuse to open the straits, we’re going to own the straits, and we’re going to charge tolls for it?” Rubio said at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Sweden. “At that point, something has to be done about it.”
Peace Talks Update
Indirect negotiations between the US and Iran have seen “a little bit of movement, and that’s good,” Rubio noted, though Pakistani media described the differences as “deep and significant.” Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, arrived in Tehran on Friday, and Qatar has also sent a team of mediators to intensify efforts for a peace agreement.
The war, now on its 85th day, continues with no clear end in sight. The situation remains fluid, and further military escalation could derail diplomatic progress.



