Search Intensifies for Missing Girl and Suspect in Outback
Search Intensifies for Missing Girl, Suspect in Outback

An outback search for a five-year-old girl and her suspected abductor is intensifying as authorities believe the missing child is still alive. One of the Northern Territory's largest investigations entered its third day, with dozens of people scouring rugged terrain near Alice Springs for Sharon Granites and recently released prisoner Jefferson Lewis.

Details of the Disappearance

The 47-year-old Lewis is believed to have lured Sharon away from her home at the Old Timers town camp while likely under the influence of alcohol, after being seen holding the little girl's hand, police said on Tuesday. Lewis had been released from prison just six days earlier.

No confirmed sightings have been made, but police have not ruled out the pair being within an established 20-square-kilometer search zone. Assistant Commissioner Peter Malley stated in Alice Springs on Tuesday, 'Our number one mission is to find little Sharon safe and well, and we're doing everything within our power.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

National Attention and Community Support

The large-scale search has garnered national attention, with support pouring in for Sharon's distraught family. Sharon was last seen by her family when she was put to bed around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday. She was reported missing about two hours later.

Lewis had been sentenced to 64 months in prison between 2016 and 2025 for offenses including multiple aggravated assaults, breaching domestic violence orders, resisting police, and breaching bail. Police say he had a 'loose connection' to Sharon's family and was staying at their residence after his release.

On the night of the suspected abduction, police had been called to a party at the Old Timers town camp but detected no offenses. Body-worn camera images of Lewis from that night have been released. Lewis was probably under the influence of alcohol and was seen holding Sharon's hand around 11 p.m., according to Malley. He allegedly led her toward an area now declared a crime scene near the Alice Springs Telegraph Station, where several items of interest have been found.

Search Efforts and Resources

Police do not believe Lewis had access to a vehicle but have not ruled out someone driving him. Malley noted, 'As time goes on, the chances of finding her alive and well reduce, hence the amount of resources we have here in Alice Springs.'

About 70 volunteers on Tuesday assisted police, emergency services, and defense personnel across the search zone. Helicopters, heat-seeking drones, dog units, horses, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, Aboriginal trackers, and members of a specialized infantry regiment of the Australian Army Reserve have been deployed. The Central Land Council said its staff are searching in cars and all-terrain vehicles.

Appeals for Information

Northern Territory Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price urged the community to come forward with any information, posting on Facebook, 'If you know anything - no matter how small - please come forward ... let's help bring her home.' Prime Minister Anthony Albanese expressed the nation's concern, saying, 'Every parent's worst fear is your child going missing. We just hope that this little girl is found. We hope that it becomes a very good news story ... on behalf of all Australians, we want to see a safe return.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration