Ex-Middlesbrough Player Denies Bias in Southampton Spygate Ruling
Ex-Boro Player Denies Bias in Southampton Spygate Ruling

A member of the independent commission who made a single appearance for Middlesbrough has denied accusations of bias after Southampton were expelled from the Championship play-offs over the spygate scandal.

The Spygate Incident

Tonda Eckert's side were thrown out of the play-offs on Tuesday, after Daily Mail Sport revealed that the Saints had sent a junior analyst intern to watch Middlesbrough's training 48 hours before their meeting in the semi-final first leg. They have also been deducted four points for next season. Southampton admitted to having spied on their opponents and two other teams but appealed against the punishment imposed, which puts promotion to the Premier League out of reach for another year. However, their appeal was turned down on Wednesday, and the decision stands, meaning Middlesbrough will take the Saints' place and play Hull City in the final at Wembley on Saturday.

David Winnie's Response

Former footballer turned solicitor David Winnie had been part of the original three-person panel that ruled on the case. Since the verdict, his independent status was questioned, having previously played for Middlesbrough. Winnie had made a single appearance during a loan spell for the club back in 1994, where Middlesbrough suffered a 4-0 defeat to Tranmere in the second tier. He returned to Aberdeen following the loan. The 56-year-old, a partner and head of sports at Gilson Gray LLP, denied suggestions of bias on Friday and highlighted how no objection had been raised to him serving on the panel.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

'The suggestion that a single appearance for Middlesbrough Football Club more than three decades ago could in any way influence my judgment as a member of an independent disciplinary commission is wholly without foundation,' Winnie told PA. 'My involvement with the club consisted of one professional appearance approximately 33 years ago and has no bearing whatsoever on my ability to approach these proceedings impartially and objectively.'

'As with all commission members, my duty was to consider only the evidence, the applicable EFL regulations, and the submissions advanced by the parties. The decision reached was unanimous and followed detailed legal argument, documentary evidence, witness testimony and careful deliberation by an experienced independent panel.'

'At no stage was any issue raised by either party regarding my independence or suitability to sit on the commission. Had there been any legitimate basis for concern, the appropriate procedures existed for that to be addressed before the hearing proceeded. Professional integrity in these proceedings is paramount. My role was to uphold the integrity of the competition and apply the regulations fairly, without fear or favour, and that is precisely what the commission did.'

Serious Ramifications

Writing on Gilson Gray LLP's website, Winnie admitted the decision would have 'serious ramifications' across football. 'This outcome reflects the seriousness with which the commission viewed repeated breaches of the regulations, particularly within the context of one of the most financially and competitively significant competitions in English football,' he added. 'The message is clear: cheating, in any form, has no place in the game and will not be tolerated. Whilst the sanctions imposed are severe, the commission considered them necessary, proportionate and essential to protect the integrity and credibility of English football moving forward.'

Details of the Spying Operation

Written reasons for the commission's decision were republished on Thursday, where it was revealed that Southampton initially lied and said they did not record rivals' training sessions. However, after evidence was presented and the club admitted to spying on three teams, including play-off semi-final opponents Middlesbrough, they were kicked out of the final and docked four points ahead of next season. Oxford United and Ipswich Town were the other victims, although the intern sent to spy on Middlesbrough and Oxford declined to go on the Ipswich mission. Another staff member was sent instead.

Eckert's part in the spying operation leaves his position in serious doubt, especially with the FA now investigating, and sources close to the club believe he will not survive this shameful episode. However, we understand the hierarchy will delay a decision on his position for the time being.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Of the spying, the commission noted: 'It involved far more than innocent activity and a particularly deplorable approach in its use of junior members of staff to conduct the clandestine observations at the direction of senior personnel. There was transmission and internal dissemination and analysis of footage and observations. The Commission is not persuaded that this is an exceptional case in which there is evidence that no use was made of the material and therefore no sporting advantage.'

'Tonda Eckert accepted that he authorised observing opponents to obtain key information. The Commission consider that the evidence demonstrates that the output of the observations fed into analysis conducted by the team, it was discussed with Mr Eckert and others and it was sought so as to inform the strategy for the match. Mr Eckert accepted, as he must, that information such as team selection and injuries is sensitive information which a club would wish to keep private in the build up to a game. He also accepted that he had specifically authorised the observations to obtain information about formation (in the Oxford incident) and about the availability of a key player (in the Middlesbrough incident).'

'We were unimpressed by suggestions on the part of some of (Southampton's) witnesses that they were unaware that these actions were in breach of the Rules. (Southampton) is a member of the EFL and has agreed to be bound by the Rules.'

Intern William Salt was pictured filming Middlesbrough's training on May 7, as revealed exclusively by Daily Mail Sport. The commission added: 'The EFL submitted that the evidence supported the view that the observations were authorised at a senior level and that the task was delegated to the intern in relation to the Middlesbrough incident and the Oxford incident. He declined to be involved in the Ipswich incident. We heard evidence from the intern who described the pressure he was placed under. Such staff were in a vulnerable position without job security and with limited ability to object to or resist the instructions given to them. We have concluded that there was, on the part of the respondent (Southampton), a contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage in competitions of real significance by deliberate attendance at opposition training grounds for the purpose of obtaining tactical and selection information.'