Federal prosecutors on Wednesday announced charges against former Cuban President Raúl Castro in the 1996 downing of civilian planes operated by Miami-based exiles, as the Trump administration escalated pressure on the socialist government.
Indictment Details and Allegations
The indictment relates to Castro’s alleged role in the shootdown of two small planes operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Castro, now 94, was Cuba's defense minister at the time. The charges include murder and destruction of an aircraft.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and other top Justice Department officials made the announcement in Miami at a ceremony to honor those killed in the shootdown.
“For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have waited for justice,” Blanche said. “They were unarmed civilians and were flying humanitarian missions for the rescue and protection of people fleeing oppression across the Florida straits.”
Asked about bringing Castro to face charges in the U.S., Blanche said: “There was a warrant issued for his arrest. So we expect that he will show up here, by his own will or by another way.” He noted that the federal government indicts people outside the United States “all the time” and uses various methods to bring them to justice.
Cuban Government Response
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the indictment, accusing the U.S. of lying and manipulating the events of 1996. He called it “a political action without any legal basis” that only seeks to “bolster the case they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba.”
Díaz-Canel wrote on X that Cuba acted in “legitimate self-defense within its territorial waters after repeated and dangerous violations of its airspace by notorious terrorists.” He claimed U.S. officials at the time had been warned about the violations but allowed them to continue.
Marlene Alejandre-Triana, whose father, Armando Alejandre Jr., was among those killed, said the charges were “long overdue.” She said her father only wanted to bring freedom to his Cuban homeland. Over the years, she spoke to multiple federal investigators about charging Castro, referring to him as “one of the main architects of the crime.”
Trump Administration Context
President Donald Trump has been threatening military action in Cuba since U.S. forces captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, Cuba’s longtime patron. After ousting Maduro, the White House ordered a blockade that choked off fuel shipments to Cuba, leading to severe blackouts, food shortages, and economic collapse.
Since Maduro's capture, Trump has escalated talk of regime change in Cuba, pledging earlier this year to conduct a “friendly takeover” if its leadership did not open its economy to American investment and expel U.S. adversaries. Trump’s first administration indicted Maduro on drug-trafficking charges and used that to justify removing him from power during a surprise military raid in January, bringing the Venezuelan leader to New York for trial.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged the Cuban people to demand a free-market economy with new leadership, saying the U.S. is ready to open a new chapter in relations. “Currently, the only thing standing in the way of a better future are those who control your country,” Rubio said in a Spanish-language video message.
Raúl Castro’s Ongoing Influence
Castro took over as president from his ailing brother Fidel Castro in 2006 before handing power to loyalist Díaz-Canel in 2018. While he retired in 2021 as head of the Cuban Communist Party, he is widely believed to wield power behind the scenes, underscored by the prominence of his grandson, Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, who previously met secretly with Rubio.
Last week, CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Havana for meetings with Cuban officials, including Castro’s grandson. Two other senior State Department officials met with the grandson in April.
“The symbolic nature is absolutely crucial,” said Lindsey Lazopoulos Friedman, a former prosecutor at the U.S. attorney’s office in Miami who handled national security cases. The indictment can be used “as a pressure point, a tactical advantage, to extract other concessions like the release of prisoners or to keep Russia out,” she added.
Historical Background
Starting in 1995, planes flown by Brothers to the Rescue buzzed over Havana dropping leaflets urging Cubans to rise up against the Castro government. The Cubans protested to the U.S., warning they would defend their airspace. Federal Aviation Administration officials opened an investigation and urged the group to ground the flights, according to declassified records obtained by George Washington University’s National Security Archive.
“This latest overflight can only be seen as further taunting of the Cuban Government,” an FAA official wrote after one intrusion in January 1996. “Worst case scenario is that one of these days the Cubans will shoot down one of these planes.”
On February 24, 1996, missiles fired by Russian-made MiG-29 fighter jets downed two unarmed civilian Cessna planes just north of Havana, beyond Cuba’s airspace. All four men aboard were killed.
Earlier Indictment Efforts
Guy Lewis, a former federal prosecutor, uncovered evidence linking senior Cuban military officials to cocaine trafficking by Colombia’s Medellin cartel. After the shootdown, the investigation expanded, and prosecutors pursued charges against Raúl Castro for leading a vast racketeering conspiracy by Cuba’s armed forces.
“The evidence was strong,” Lewis said. Ultimately, the Clinton administration indicted four individuals, including the MiG pilots, the head of the Cuban air force, and the head of a Cuban spy network in Miami—the only one to be imprisoned in the U.S.—for providing intelligence about the flights.
The incident hardened U.S. policy toward Cuba, even though the Cold War had ended. However, Castro himself was spared as the Clinton administration, which had sought to expand relations with Cuba, raised foreign policy concerns about a high-profile indictment.
“Raúl was definitely one who slipped through the noose,” Lewis said. “The crime is notorious. Three U.S. citizens and one legal permanent resident were killed in a premeditated orchestrated murder. That should never be forgotten.”



