Alan Carr's 2027 Tour Dates Rule Him Out of Strictly Come Dancing Host Role
Alan Carr rules out Strictly host job due to tour clash

Popular comedian and presenter Alan Carr has effectively taken himself out of the running to become the new host of Strictly Come Dancing, following the announcement of a major nationwide tour that directly conflicts with the BBC show's demanding broadcast schedule.

Tour Announcement Clashes with Strictly Filming

On Wednesday evening, the 49-year-old star of Interior Design Masters and recent winner of The Celebrity Traitors confirmed his return to live comedy. 'It’s official. I’m heading back on tour across the UK and Ireland in 2027,' Carr declared. The extensive schedule for his show, Have I Said Too Much?, includes key Friday and Saturday night performances in cities like Nottingham, Coventry, Plymouth, Bristol, London, and Dublin throughout October and November.

This period is the core filming window for Strictly Come Dancing, when its famous live Saturday night broadcasts take place. A source close to the Strictly production team told the Mail: 'There is simply no way that Alan Carr will be able to do both his tour and the Strictly job. Saturdays are sacrosanct to the Strictly team.'

Search for New Presenters Intensifies

The hosting roles on the BBC's flagship entertainment programme became vacant in November when the long-serving duo Claudia Winkleman, 53, and Tess Daly, 56, announced their joint departure. Their final appearance is set for the Christmas Day special. The BBC is now actively seeking two new presenters for the show, which continues to pull in an audience of around six million viewers.

Kate Phillips, the BBC's chief content officer, revealed her inbox had been 'inundated' with expressions of interest. While the 2027 tour rules Carr out for that series, the possibility remains for the 2026 competition. However, the insider added a note of caution: 'He is unlikely to step into the role for just a year as the BBC want people who will stick around in their top jobs.'

Who Are the Other Contenders?

With Alan Carr's availability now in serious doubt, the speculation around who will fill the coveted slots has intensified. The current bookmakers' favourite is former This Morning presenter Holly Willoughby. Other strong candidates reportedly include:

  • Emma Willis, host of The Voice
  • BBC radio presenter Zoe Ball
  • Television personality Rylan Clark

Bradley Walsh, host of ITV's The Chase, also sparked rumours after being spotted at the Elstree studios during a recent Strictly live broadcast.

Alan Carr's stock as a presenter rose significantly following his triumphant win on the second series of The Celebrity Traitors last month. The finale, in which he outwitted fellow contestants to win £87,500 for the charity Neuroblastoma UK, was watched by a staggering 15 million people, making it one of the most-watched programmes of the year. Tickets for his new live tour go on sale this Friday at 11am.